One of this blog’s most popular posts to date is a list of 15 learning quotes that inspire us to learn—these are quotes we can use for ourselves when we want to keep learning, and to inspire others to learn. But what about motivation for those who are inspiring others to learn? To motivate educators to keep up the important work they are doing in the field of education, we’ve compiled 15 inspiring teaching quotes.
Teaching Quotes—Inspiration for Educators
1. “Teaching is the greatest act of optimism.” –Colleen Wilcox
2. “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.” –Mark Van Doren
3. “I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. It might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.” –John Steinbeck
4. “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” –William Ward
5. “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” –Robert Frost
6. “Education breeds confidence. Confidence breeds hope. Hope breeds peace.” –Confucius
7. ‘Teaching is the highest form of understanding.” –Aristotle
8. “If you have to put someone on a pedestal, put teachers. They are society’s heroes.” –Guy Kawasaki
9. “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” –Albert Einstein
10. “Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” –Marian Wright Edelman
These are all (relatively) well-known sayings, but we’d like to hear YOUR thoughts on education. For all the educators out there, what are some of your favorite teaching quotes? What are some of the things you say about teaching that we should feature in this list?