Sometimes the process of learning can get overwhelming. There’s so much to learn, and not enough time to devote to really diving in. When I get in a situation where I feel like giving up, or like I’ll never be able to learn what I want to learn in the time I have, it can help to turn to some outside inspiration. Here are 15 learning quotes that I turn to when I need inspiration to keep going.
15 Inspiring Learning Quotes
1. “Perfect is the enemy of good.” –Voltaire
Don’t worry about doing things perfectly. If you do, you’ll never get things done.
2. “I’m still learning.” –Michelangelo
In Italian: Ancora imparo. A tiny reminder that I’m still learning, always learning.
3. “Life is a journey, not a destination.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
This applies to learning, as well. The process of learning is more important than the often intangible result or “end goal.”
4. “Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.” ―Abigail Adams
Talent and luck might happen to you by chance, but learning is a skill and practice that anyone can accomplish with diligence.
5. “Yesterday I was clever, so I changed the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” –Rumi
Learning is an exercise in changing the self.
6. “Be curious, not judgmental.” –Walt Whitman
Don’t be judgmental towards anyone, including yourself.
7. “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” –Zig Ziglar
A good reminder that the only way to never reach your goals is to never start.
8. “Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods.” –Unknown
Some flexibility in learning is necessary, but keep your goals consistent.
9. “Nothing will work unless you do.” –Maya Angelou
You’ve got to do the work if you want to see results.
10. “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.” –Earl Nightingale
This quote is especially helpful when you think about the long process of learning. That time will go by no matter what you do — you might as well spend it learning.
11. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.” —Henry Ford
Learning is what keeps the mind young.
12. “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” –Benjamin Franklin
A good reminder to focus on active learning.
13. “Change is the end result of all true learning.” ―Leo Buscaglia
Ask yourself: how is this changing me?
14. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ―Mahatma Gandhi
I love this one — learn as much as you can, as though you had all the time in the world.
15. “A learning curve is essential to growth.” –Tammy Bjelland
This last one is mine! You’re always going to encounter a learning curve when you learn something new — it’s one of the requirements to actually learning! The frustrations and struggles that come with it are also a requirement. The learning curve doesn’t mean that you should quit — as long as you face the challenges and work through those frustrations, you will make progress.
Do you have any inspiring learning quotes you turn to? Please share!